Village Sites of Interest
The village church is dedicated to
Donisthorpe Colliery Wheel
From the old Donisthorpe colliery which closed in 1991 and was one of only two mines in the UK using a steam winding
|Red telephone box situated in Shortheath, almost opposite
house number 151.|
In 1935 the K6 (kiosk number six) was designed to commemorate the silver jubilee of King George V. K6 was the first red telephone kiosk to
be extensively used outside London, and many thousands were deployed in virtually every town and city, replacing most of the
existing kiosks and establishing thousands of new sites.
It has become a British icon, although it was not universally
loved at the start.
|This milepost stands outside number 6 Burton Road (the A444)
on what used to be the Market Bosworth to Burton on Trent Turnpike (Toll Road). The Turnpike existed from 1759 to 1872 and
was 17 miles in length, with six main gates and four side gates, with one of the gates situated the Robin Hood, which was
the last building on the northern end of the village at the time.|
This is one of two surviving mileposts, with the other
one situated in Carlton, and was saved from destruction by Mark Knight, one of the Overseal villagers, who arranged for it
to be repaired and refurbished.
| ||The "Pipe Wall" on the corner of Hallcroft Avenue and Daisy Lane.|
| || |
| || |
| || |